Starlight Starbright Music offers several different types of Music Together® classes.
The Music Together Mixed-Age class is the essential Music Together class, one that a child can attend from birth through age 5--and through all nine song collections. This basic class follows the recommendations of child development researchers by grouping children of a variety of ages in one class. This approach fosters natural, family-style learning where younger children enjoy watching and imitating older ones, older children learn by leading younger ones, and adults are happy because the children in the family can go to class together. Each child participates at his or her own developmental level in singing, moving, chanting, listening, observing, or exploring musical instruments. We welcome the whole family to join in this important family music experience. One or more adult caregivers--parents, grandparents, nanny--bring the child(ren) to class.
Classes are 45 minutes long and meet once weekly for 10 weeks (or occasionally 12 weeks) in the fall, winter, and spring and 6 or 8 weeks in the summer. Each registered family receives a songbook, recording, and song download code; families new to the program also receive new-family materials. To hear some song samples, click here. Please note: In the spring 2021 semester, we will be singing and dancing with Music Together Online AND Music Together Outdoors! Scroll down to view information about these specialized classes.
Our Music Together Online classes are being held on Zoom. Registration for a Music Together Online class includes:
- One 30-minute, interactive virtual class with the same teacher via Zoom each week
- Unlimited make-ups in any of the Zoom classes that have available space
- Access to a private Facebook group created just for enrolled families, which will feature three 15-minute Facebook LIVE events each week that can be viewed later on demand
- Videos featuring musical crafts, lullabies, song covers, parent education, and more
- Extra Zoom meetings and dance parties
- The Zoom song collection materials--songbook, CD, and music download code--mailed directly to your door
- Access to your music through the award-winning Hello Everybody app
Our Music Together Outdoors classes are being held in the Eton Lodge courtyard at 117 Garth Road, Scarsdale. Because they are in-person classes, there are stringent rules about how the classes can be conducted, as follows:
- When your class is confirmed, you'll receive a list of screening questions. You may attend your in-person class only if you can answer "No" to every question, every day. If you answer "Yes" to any of the questions, you may not return to class until you can answer "No" to all of the questions again. You will be welcome to join one of our Zoom classes in the interim. If you or a close contact receives a positive COVID-19 test, you agree to notify Starlight Starbright Music as soon as possible, and we will inform the other class families without revealing your identifying information.
- Families should bring a ground covering to sit on, as we will be sitting on concrete. In soggy weather, an inexpensive shower curtain makes a great barrier between the ground and your blanket.
- Teachers will mark the spaces where families should put down their blankets (6 to 8 feet apart).
- Parents will be responsible for gently leading wandering children back to the family space. We know it's not developmentally appropriate to expect children to stay in one place and not wander during class; however, it's essential that we take extra care to keep everyone safe during the pandemic.
- Masks will be required for all adults and children 3 years and older during class. If you or your child cannot wear a mask, it would be better to sign up for a Zoom class.
- Class will run unless it is actively raining heavily. If the weather is bad, we will move to Zoom for the day.
- Make-ups can be scheduled in Zoom classes only, so you always have the same people in your outdoor class.
- Class size will be strictly limited to 7 families, one adult caregiver per child maximum.
- Each class will run for 30 minutes to accommodate children's attention spans.
- Every family must bring their own instruments to class each week. When you register, you can choose whether or not to have a bag of instruments included in the tuition for each adult-child pair. If you choose to have instruments included, each bag will contain two pairs of egg shakers, two pairs of rhythm sticks, two scarves, two drums, and two bells, and they will be given to you at your first class. If you choose to bring your own instruments from home, they do not have to be store bought--I can give you suggestions about ordinary household objects that make great instruments!
- Families should abide by the posted safety signage at the location and are encouraged to wash or sanitize hands before and after class.
- Because the location is a private residence, families will be asked to arrive a few minutes before class to gather outside the building, and the teacher will let everyone in as a group. The door must be locked after that, however, so if you are not on time for class, you may make up the missed class in a Zoom class.
Through a special arrangement with Music Together, we also offer a complementary program in Spanish for children from birth through age 5, with an adult caregiver--Canta y Baila Conmigo! Canta y Baila Conmigo is a unique curriculum with the dual goals of music education and language immersion. Designed for beginners and native speakers alike, Canta y Baila Conmigo creates a playful, interactive atmosphere where language learning is integrated naturally and organically in the musical experience. Take a look at our video! Please note: In the spring 2021 semester, we will be singing and dancing with the Canta y Baila Conmigo Family Playground! Our virtual classes will be conducted through Zoom.
The Canta y Baila Conmigo Family Playground program includes:
- One 30-minute, interactive virtual class with teacher Annette via Zoom each week
- Unlimited make-ups in any of the Music Together Online Zoom classes that have available space
- Twice-weekly "Playdate Modules" added to the Family Playground that can be viewed later on demand, to include:
- Singalong videos with program creator Maddie Welch
- Spanish lessons for grownups and older kids
- Downloadable coloring and activity pages
- Craft and project ideas related to the song collection
- Bonus interactive games and contests
- The semester's songbook, CD, and download code mailed directly to your door
- Access to your music through the Bandcamp app